- Directorate-General for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs
- Number: 762/PP/GRO/RCH/19/11305
The main objective of this analysis is to assess the feasibility of a European global navigation satellite system (EGNSS)-based safety service for the rail sector beyond 2022 that would enable the rationalisation of rail signalling infrastructure. The analysis will produce the service concept and consolidate it through cooperation with the working group of experts. The analysis will enable the European Commission to determine whether an EGNOS service needs to be created specifically for rail safety.
The contractor will carry out at least the following activities:
- identify the current safety and legal requirements at European level and analyse the possible evolutions from 2025 to 2035
- identify user needs, service performance, operational and service requirements, and analyse the possible evolutions from 2025 to 2035. The contractor will specifically analyse the user need for integrity for safety-critical applications supporting legal procedures
- define the EGNSS rail safety service including its integrity concept at user level and how the information is sent to the train (the integrity concept at user level includes the EGNSS contribution to overall integrity). Safety and service requirements (including broadcast via EGNOS GEOs, an EGNOS Data Access Service [EDAS] evolution [RD.6] or other broadcast means) should also be defined
- derive the EGNSS mission, service and operational requirements from the user requirements
- perform technical analyses to confirm the feasibility of the integrity concept at user level
- validate the EGNSS-based rail service concept with rail stakeholders
- analyse the success criteria of the new service focusing on the actions that will be taken to influence the decision-making process of each stakeholder (i.e. receiver manufacturers, infrastructure managers and railway operators, and EGNSS-based rail safety service providers)
- define the implementation steps and a timeline for the operational introduction of the EGNSS-based rail safety service and its adoption by different stakeholders
Information about tender documents
Since 1 January 2012, all tendering documents relating to the Directorate-General for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs are published on the Commission-wide eTendering platform.
The documents will always be visible and downloadable, but if you register on eTendering, you will be able to ask questions and you will be informed automatically about any changes to the call for tender (additional documents, answers to questions, etc.).