- animal welfare | chemical industry | cosmetics industry | animal experimentation
The 2020 European Partnership for Alternative Approaches to Animal Testing (EPAA) Annual Conference took place on Tuesday, 10 November 2020. A record number of over 270 people from all over the world attended this online event.
This event gave participants insight on 15 years of contribution to the 3Rs, reported on EPAA achievements and milestones, announced the EPAA 3Rs Science prize winner, provided an opportunity to discuss current and future challenges on the way towards human-based testing models.
3Rs Science Prize 2020 winner
Dr. Viviana Meraviglia from the Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC) in the Netherlands is the winner of the 3Rs Science Prize 2020. Her work focused on 'Three-dimensional multicell-type human induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (hiPSC)-cardiac microtissues: a novel platform to study cardiac disease, cardiotoxicity and drug efficacy relevant to humans in vitro'. See her case study under 'Presentations' below or visit the 3Rs awards and grants page.
- Keynote I - The Importance of: Innovation, Collaboration and Partnerships by Patrick Masscheleyn
- Keynote II - 3Rs Milestones and challenges ahead by Judy MacArthur Clark
- 2020 at a glance: EPAA achievements and new Action Programme by Rob Roggeband
- 2020 EPAA Science Prize: Human mini-hearts from stem cells to study cardiac disease, cardiotoxicity and to reduce animal experiments by Dr. Viviana Meraviglia
- Mirror Group perspective by Marina Pereira
- National 3Rs centres perspective by Adrian Smit
- Global perspective by Anna Lowit