- industrial policy | circular economy | intellectual property | innovation | business cluster
The Intelligent Cities Challenge (ICC) City Lab is the chance to meet with European Commission officials, ICC-city representatives, global thinkers, urban development experts, and city leaders from across the globe to showcase how intelligent cities will lead the way to a sustainable, productive, zero-pollution future.
Join us virtually for two public sessions on 1 June 2021 and two public sessions on 3 June 2021.
Zero pollution city: Leading the green transition of local businesses (EU Green Week partner event)
Tuesday, 1 June 2021, 11.30 - 13.00 CEST.
Moderator: Anna Athanasopoulou, Head of Unit Proximity, Social Economy and Creative Industries, Directorate-General for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs (DG GROW), European Commission
- Tadashi Matsumoto, Head of the Sustainable Development & Global Relations Unit, OECD
Speakers from ICC cities:
- Michael Koh, Executive Fellow, Centre for Liveable Cities - City of Singapore, clean and green environment
- Rosa Väisänen, Specialist, City of Espoo, Sustainable Urban Development
- Geertje Pronk, Researcher and Programme manager at KWR Water Research Institute - City of Mechelen, water management
- Victor Dimoulis, Scientific Advisor to the Mayor on Waste management and Circular Economy affairs - City of Corfu, industrial waste management
City of the future: New urban trends for a climate-neutral and socially responsible industrial future (EU Green Week partner event)
Tuesday, 1 June 2021, 13.30 - 15.00 CEST.
Moderator: Dana Eleftheriadou, Head of Cities and Proximity Team, DG GROW, European Commission
- Valentina Superti, Director of Proximity and Tourism, DG GROW, European Commission
- Jan Olbrycht, President of the URBAN Intergroup, European Parliament
- Carlo Ratti, Director, MIT Senseable City Laboratory – ICC advisory board member
- Gesa Ziemer, Head of CityScienceLab, UNITAC Innovation Technology Accelerator Centre, Hamburg – ICC mentor city
- Michela Magas, Chair, Industry Commons Foundation
- Nicolás Rivillas Hincapié, Deputy Manager of Design and Innovation, Urban Development Company (EDU) of Medellín - ICC mentor city
- Daniel Gonzalez-Bootello, Director of Smart City Cluster - ICC advisory board member
Thursday, 3 June 2021, 12.00 - 13.00 CEST.
Showcasing operational services from innovative European SMEs, start-ups and enterprises, the marketplace is THE space where cities, towns and rural areas can get inspired and find solutions to the challenges they face.
Initiatives at European level on the green transition of cities – panel discussion
Thursday, 3 June 2021, 14.00 - 15.30 CEST.
Moderator: Anna Athanasopoulou, Head of Unit Proximity, Social Economy and Creative Industries, DG GROW, European Commission
European Commission panellists:
- Marek Teplansky, Head of Unit, Inclusive Growth, Urban and Territorial Development, Directorate-General for Regional and Urban Policy
- Philippe Froissard, Head of Unit, Future Urban & Mobility Systems, Directorate-General for Research and Innovation
- Eddy Hartog, Head of Unit, Technologies for Smart Communities, Directorate-General for Communication Networks, Content and Technology
- Xavier Troussard, Head of Unit, New European Bauhaus, Joint Research Centre
- Helen Mccarthy-O’ Kelly, Policy officer, Environmental Knowledge, Eco-Innovation & SMEs, Directorate-General for Environment
- Luana Maria Bidasca, Policy officer, Innovation & Research, Directorate-General for Mobility and Transport
To sign up for any closed sessions, simply indicate in the registration for that you are part of the ICC challenge to see the full overview of sessions.