The European Strategy for Plastics has set the target that 10 million tonnes of recycled plastics are used to make products in the EU by 2025. This compares to less than 4 million tonnes used in 2016.
To reach this target, annex III of the strategy called on stakeholders to make voluntary pledges to use or produce more recycled plastics.
70 companies and business associations submitted voluntary pledges by the end of 2018. Most of them agreed to publish their names. Please see the list below.
Many pledgers also agreed to publish their pledge, in part or entirely. See published pledges on the circular economy stakeholder platform.
Make or update a pledge
Stakeholders can make or update their voluntary pledges now.
Assessment of pledges
On 4 March 2019, the Commission published its assessment report of the voluntary pledges received by end 2018. The report concludes that there is a strong momentum within the plastics value chains in favour of more recycled plastics. The pledges from suppliers of recycled plastics (such as plastics recyclers), if fully delivered, are sufficient to reach and even exceed the 10 million tonnes target. However, the pledges from the users of recycled plastics (such as plastics converters and brand owners) amounted to approximately 6.4 million tonnes. This is an increase of over 60% compared to 2016, but more efforts are necessary to reach 10 million tonnes in 2025. The Commission recently launched the Circular Plastics Alliance to help bridge the gap between the supply and demand for recycled plastics.
List of pledgers
The pledgers below have agreed to publish their names.
- Alfred Kärcher SE & Co. KG
- ALPLA Werke Alwin Lehner GmbH & Co KG
- APE Europe
- BASF SE
- Confederation of Danish Industries (Dansk Industri)
- COOP Italia
- Danish Brewers Association
- EcoSynergy System
- International Association of the Nonwovens Manufacturers (EDANA)
- European Recovered Fuel Organisation (ERFO)
- European Manufacturers of Expanded PolyStyrene (EUMEPS)
- European Federation of Bottled Waters (EFBW)
- European Plastics Converters (EuPC)
- Fischer Gmbh
- Groupe Bel
- Groupe Renault
- Hera Spa
- Iberostar Group
- Kaneka Belgium NV
- KENOGARD S.A.
- Klöckner Pentaplast
- Lassila &Tikanoja plc.
- LIPOR (Intermunicipal Waste Management, Porto)
- MACPAC SA
- Mayansi Circular Plastics SL
- Miele & Cie. KG
- Neste Corporation
- Next Generation Recyclingmaschinen GmbH (NGR)
- Petcore Europe
- PET Sheet Europe
- Philips Domestic Appliances
- Plastics Recyclers Europe (PRE)
- Plastika Virant d.o.o.
- Plastix AS
- POLYOLEFIN Circular Economy Platform (PCEP)
- SP Group A/S
- Styrenics Circular Solutions (SCS)
- The Swedish Food Retailers' Federation (Svensk Dagligvaruhande)
- Technology industries of Finland
- Tetra Pak
- Thrace Plastics Co SA (Thrace Group)
- Soft Drinks Europe (UNESDA)
- Versalis SpA
- VH Plastics
- Vosläuer Mineralwasser GmbH
- Werner und Mertz
- ZEME Eco fuels & Alloys Limited
- 4 märts 2019
- Siseturu, tööstuse, ettevõtluse ja VKEde peadirektoraat