The European Partnership for Alternative Approaches to Animal Testing (EPAA) aims to replace animal testing by innovative, non-animal testing methods/New Approach Methodologies (NAMs), to reduce the number of animals used and to refine procedures where no alternatives exist, or are not sufficient to ensure the safety of substances (the '3R principle').
The partners are pooling knowledge and resources to accelerate the development, validation and acceptance of alternative approaches at national, European and global levels.
News and highlights
- 2023 Annual Conference
- 2023 Annual Report
- 2023 Partners Forum - flash report
- EPAA at the 12th World Congress
- NAMS Designathon Challenge: call for submissions
- NC3RS/EPAA webinar on chronic toxicity studies
- Refinement Prize 2023: call for submissions
- EPAA Partners Forum on Exposure Considerations in Human Safety Assessment Part II – flash report
- Leaflet: 15 years of public-private partnership: EPAA achievements
- List of all EPAA publications
About the EPAA
History and rationale
Launched in November 2005 with the support of European Commissioners Verheugen and Potocnik, the EPAA began operations in 2006. It completed a first mandate of 5 years by the end of 2010.
Due to the encouraging results of the EPAA's projects, the mandate has been renewed for 5-year terms since.
The EPPA action programme 2021-2025 (92 kB) focuses on facilitating regulatory acceptance.
The vision of EPAA is the replacement, reduction and refinement (3Rs) of animal use for meeting regulatory requirements through better and more predictive science.
The EPAA vision and mission paper (340 kB)
We value your privacy. See the EPAA privacy statement on the protection of your personal data.
Disclaimer: This webpage contains information on past events, such as agendas of annual meetings or workshops, which may contain the names of speakers. If your name is mentioned and you would like us to remove it, please contact GROW-EPAAec [dot] europa [dot] eu (GROW-EPAA[at]ec[dot]europa[dot]eu).