Processed agricultural products (PAPs) are non-agricultural food and drink items made out of agricultural products.
In EU law, agricultural products are listed in Annex I to the Treaty on the Functioning of the EU. By contrast, PAPs are often called ‘Non-Annex I goods’.
Non-Annex I goods are listed in Regulation (EU) no 510/2014. They include products such as chocolate, confectionary, sweet drinks, beers, spirits, biscuits and bakery products. More than 70% of agricultural commodities produced in the EU are transformed into manufactured food products, many of which are Non-Annex I goods.
Main product groups in the PAP sector
- processed dairy products (headings 0403 and 0405 of the combined nomenclature – see below), including some yoghurts and dairy spreads;
- frozen fruit and vegetables (headings 0710 of the combined nomenclature);
- sugar confectionery, chocolate and cereal-based processed products (heading 1704 and chapters 18 and 19 of the combined nomenclature);
- various prepared foods and sauces (almost all chapter 21 of the combined nomenclature);
- non-alcoholic beverages and all alcoholic beverages except wine (chapter 22 of the combined nomenclature);
- tobacco products (headings 2402 and 2403 of the combined nomenclature);
- casein and processed starch products (headings 2905, 3501, 3505 and 3809 of the combined nomenclature).