Tourism is a major economic activity in the European Union with wide-ranging impact on economic growth, employment, and social development. It can be a powerful tool in fighting economic decline and unemployment. Nevertheless the tourism sector faces a series of challenges. The European Commission works to address these with policies and actions.
European Tourism Day
The European Tourism Day is an annual event where stakeholders can discuss specific themes. The themes are selected on the basis of current policy priorities.
European Tourism Forum
The European Tourism Forum is an annual event, co-organised with the country that holds the Presidency of the Council of the European Union during the second half of the calendar year. The Forum’s objectives are political and they are often linked to an informal meeting of Ministers responsible for Tourism from EU countries.
European Tourism Convention - 12 October 2020
The European Tourism Convention, launched dialogue on sustainable recovery and the strategic orientations for the tourism of tomorrow, delivering several documents, reports and coutcomes.
High-Level Conference: 'Attracting investment in tourism' - 5 April 2016
This conference covered the topics of financing, upgrading skills and improving business environment to strengthen the competitiveness of the EU tourism industry. Read more.
Crossroads of Europe
Crossroads of Europe was a series of annual events to promote European cultural routes and raise awareness about their potential for tourism among stakeholders, businesses, destination managers, national and local authorities.
- Crossroads of Europe 2014 took place in Ferrol, Spain
- Crossroads of Europe 2013 took place in Toulouse, France
- Crossroads of Europe 2012 took place in Pavia, Italy
Live events on digital tourism
The live events were a series of webinars designed to provide guidance on digital issues to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the tourism industry. Led by industry experts, the webinars examined recent trends in tourists' use of technology to discover, plan and share their travel experiences.
Other past events
- Kick-off meeting of the Digital Tourism Platform, 27 March 2015
- Pan-European dialogue on cruise tourism, 5-6 March 2015
- Workshop on Smart cooperation in coastal and maritime tourism - Encouraging transnational partnerships through clusters and networks, 20 January 2015
- Mind the Accessibility Gap: Rethinking accessible tourism in Europe, 6 June 2014
- Info Day: EU funding for tourism, 20 March 2014
- Presentation of the feasibility study for the European tourism indicator system for sustainable management at destination level , 22 February 2013
- Seminar on Current Cooperation and Future Perspectives in Sustainable Tourism in Mediterranean countries, 21-22 June 2012