The European SME week is a pan-European campaign that aims to promote entrepreneurship in Europe. It helps existing entrepreneurs find information on available support and tries to encourage more people to set up their own businesses. Coordinated by the European Commission, this campaign consists of events throughout the whole year. The main event of the European SME week is organised every autumn together with the SME Assembly and the European enterprise promotion awards ceremony.
Main objectives of the SME week
- to help create a business-friendly environment and boost SMEs' competitiveness, also regionally through SME regional policies
- to inform entrepreneurs about support available at EU, national, regional, and local level
- to encourage more people to become entrepreneurs
European SME Week 2023
In 2023, the European SME Week will be held from 13 to 17 November in Bilbao, Basque Country, Spain, in cooperation with the Spanish Presidency of the Council, the Basque Government and the Enterprise Europe Network.
The week will feature several events highlighting the importance of SMEs for Europe’s economy. The two biggest events in the week are the SME Assembly and the Annual Conference of the Enterprise Europe Network.
Who can get involved?
- existing and potential entrepreneurs
- young people
- business organisations and business support providers
- public authorities, educational institutions
How does it work?
The European SME Week gives a chance to organisations providing business support services to promote them to entrepreneurs in Europe. Organisations can benefit from the branding and the promotion of their events through a central website located on the Europa website.
Events will be held across the 37 participating countries with a majority of European and international events taking place in Brussels.
How to take part?
- The 'Secrets of success 2018-19: Entrepreneurs of Europe - connecting, sharing and innovating' brochure includes stories of entrepreneurs who come from a broad range of sectors and backgrounds
- Secrets of success 2016-17: Inspiring a new generation of entrepreneurs
- Secret of success 2014-15: Europe’s digital icons - transforming our economy
- Secret of success 2012-13: European SMEs as international champions
- Secret of success 2011: Entrepreneurship beyond start-ups - second time entrepreneurs and transfer of business