Batteries are critical to a clean energy economy. They help decarbonise the transport and energy sectors, by electrifying vehicles and providing stationary storage for the renewable-powered grid. Advancing the battery supply chain therefore requires an all-hands-on-deck, global approach.
On 14 March 2022, the Commission and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) announced support for a collaboration between the European Battery Alliance and the U.S. Li-Bridge alliance to accelerate development of robust supply chains for lithium-ion and next generation batteries, including the critical raw materials segments.
Bolstering the clean energy economy and strengthening the battery value chain is a top priority for the European Union and the United States. This is in step with their commitment to address the climate crisis and accelerate the transition to clean energy, through renewables, energy efficiency and necessary technologies like batteries.
With each passing year, the growing urgency of the climate crisis demands swifter action, smarter solutions, and more comprehensive collaboration. The European Battery Alliance and U.S. Li-Bridge Alliance are collectively assuring the resilience of battery supply chains by
- developing sustainable industry capacity that can satisfy a growing demand for batteries in transportation and energy systems
- researching next generation, high performing and sustainable battery technologies
- ensuring sustainable and ethical sourcing of critical raw materials
- accelerating battery recycling and reuse, including recovering critical raw materials
- investing in the battery workforce
- prioritising the environmental justice when supporting the broader transition to a clean energy economy
In the months ahead, EIT InnoEnergy and Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) will lead efforts between the two alliances to build bridges across the battery ecosystems and conduct forums to carry out specific collaborative efforts to ensure resilient battery value chains.
- 14. märts 2022
- Siseturu, tööstuse, ettevõtluse ja VKEde peadirektoraat