Guidance on Toy Safety
The Commission and the Expert Group on Toy Safety draw up guidance documents to assist manufacturers, importers, distributors, and public authorities in the interpretation and application of the Toy Safety Directive 2009/48/EC. The guidance documents are not legally binding but they express the views of the majority of the Expert Group's members.
Guidance document on scooters (432 kB)
The guidance document on the relationship between the Safety of Toys Directive and the Cadmium Directive (Directive 91/338/EEC) has become obsolete after the Court of Justice has given its judgment in case C-9/04
Guidance document on pools (10.1 MB)
Guidance document on books (2 MB)
Guidance document on crafts (544 kB)
Notes from market surveillance
The market surveillance authorities in charge of toy safety, known as the Administrative Cooperation (ADCO) group of the Expert Group on Toy Safety, has issued the notes below. These aim to help understand the approach of market surveillance authorities to specific issues. The approach respresents the majority view amongst the market surveillance authorities.
Recommendations and Protocols under Directive 2009/48/EC
The co-ordination group of notified bodies under the Toy Safety Directive, known as NB-Toys, has issued Recommendations and Protocols to help them fulfil their tasks. They are applied by the notified bodies on a voluntary basis.
- Recommendation No 1 : format EC type examination certificate (Rev 3) (188 kB)
- Recommendation No 2 : NoBo identification number affixed to the toy (Rev 1) (13 kB)
- Recommendation No 3 : failure of safety limit (Rev 1) (14 kB)
- Recommendation No 4 : transitional period (Rev 1) (15 kB)
- Protocol No 1 : Toys submitted to EC-Type Examination (Rev 8) (462 kB)
- Protocol No 2 : Microbiological safety of toys containing aqueous media (Rev 4) (362 kB)
- Protocol No 4 : Washability of toys approval (Rev 2) (231 kB)
- Protocol No 5 : Microwavable toys (Rev 1) (479 kB)
Guidance for notified bodies
The Commission issued an interpretative document on the use by notified bodies of their name and number for activities not required by EU legislation.