Deadline extended to 30 November 2023.
The European Commission’s Directorate General for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs and the Belgian Presidency of the Council of the European Union will organise a second edition of the academic Conference on the EU Single Market, after the one organised in December 2022.
The conference will be held in person in Brussels, Belgium, and virtually in a hybrid format. It will bring together top researchers to present research findings and policy insights related to the EU single market.
Topics of interest for the contributing papers include
- Integration in the single market
- Long-term trends in integration, along the four dimensions of goods, services, labour, capital; with a focus on major milestones and future outlook.
- Potential of further integration in services, including cross-border digital services.
- Opportunities and challenges to integration, including forward looking topics (impact of removing specific restrictions; impact of digitalisation; data privacy and e-commerce; intellectual property rights).
- Functioning of the single market
- Productivity, market size and product differentiation.
- Single market as driver of long-term competitiveness and of the twin transitions (with a focus on social and environmental sustainability, on the social economy, and on the labour market).
- Trade-offs and heterogeneity in the single market: industrial policies, national subsidies and fragmentation, distributional and labour market effects of integration (income and purchasing power; wages and mobility); remaining market and regulatory failures.
- Governance of the single market: implementation and strategic enforcement of rules, beyond remedial (infringement proceedings), also preventive (ex-ante notifications) and collaborative instruments; harnessing and adapting to digitalisation.
- The external dimension of the single market
- International value chains and Open Strategic Autonomy: what role for the single market?
- Assessing the changing weight of the single market in the global economy: attractiveness, model and standard-setter for the world;
- Crisis management through single market and resilience to external shocks.
Authors interested in presenting their research should submit their papers to GROW-SM-CONFERENCEec [dot] europa [dot] eu (GROW-SM-CONFERENCE[at]ec[dot]europa[dot]eu).
The deadline for submissions has been extended to Thursday, November 30, 2023.
Authors of accepted papers will be notified of acceptance by Friday, December 15, 2023. Presenters should plan to present in person. All papers presented at the conference will be posted on the websites of the European Commission’s Directorate General for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs in the Single Market Economy Papers series.
Further information: should you have any questions, please contact GROW-SM-CONFERENCEec [dot] europa [dot] eu (GROW-SM-CONFERENCE[at]ec[dot]europa[dot]eu). In-person attendees will need to follow any relevant health safety protocols for entry in place at the time of the conference.