The European Commission has published the next edition of the EDEN Best Practices Report. We collected best practices from the applications submitted by destinations for the 2023 European Destinations of Excellence (EDEN) competition.
The report showcases the most innovative sustainable tourism projects, ideas and initiatives, solely presenting and relying on data destinations submitted in their applications.
In 2007, the European Commission first introduced EDEN as an initiative to reward non-traditional and emerging sustainable tourism destinations in Europe. It was previously run under a different theme each year and based on national competitions. In 2019, the initiative was redesigned and updated in line with the European Green Deal and set to contribute to the recovery and resilience of tourism destinations impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The EDEN initiative aims to
- showcase the best achievements in sustainable tourism and green transition practices
- across smaller European destinations
- promote the development of sustainable tourism in destinations, bringing value to the
- economy, the planet and the people
- establish a framework for participating destinations to exchange best practices and
- create opportunities for cooperation and new partnerships
- Publication date
- 27 March 2023
- Directorate-General for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs