Progress report and status report
In accordance with the CARS 21 communication, the Commission issues an annual working paper on the major automotive-related regulatory developments and activities at the world forum for harmonisation of vehicle regulations of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE). In addition, the Commission publishes an annual status report on EU accession to UN regulations in the area of vehicle approval.
- Progress report: 2014 activities of the world forum for harmonisation of vehicle regulations
- Status of EU accession to UNECE regulations for vehicle approval (as of 31 December 2014)
The global technical regulations
The global technical regulations are developed under the 1998 international agreement on vehicle construction to which the EU is a contracting party. The regulations cover the approval of vehicles' safety and environmental aspects. They are managed by the world forum for harmonization of vehicle regulations, a permanent working party of the UNECE. The Commission and EU countries take part in the technical preparatory work of the forum and the Commission exercises the right to vote in the Forum on behalf of the EU.
- See the list of adopted global technical regulations (62 kB).
Translation of UN regulations
The UN regulations, which are applicable under EU law, must be translated into all official EU languages and published in the Official Journal of the European Union. Status table of the translations
- Published on 20 January 2022
- UN Regulation No 26 – Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regard to their external projections
- Published on 30 December 2021
- UN Regulation No 161 – Uniform provisions concerning the protection of motor vehicles against unauthorized use and the approval of the device against unauthorized use (by mean of a locking system)
- UN Regulation No 162 – Uniform technical prescriptions concerning approval of immobilizers and approval of a vehicle with regard to its immobilizer
- UN Regulation No 163 – Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicle alarm system and approval of a vehicle with regard to its vehicle alarm system
- Published on 15 December 2021
- UN Regulation No 100 – Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regard to specific requirements for the electric power train
- Published on 26 November 2021
- UN Regulation No 153 - Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regard to fuel system integrity and safety of electric power train in the event of a rear-end collision
- UN Regulation No 154 - Uniform provisions concerning the approval of light duty passenger and commercial vehicles with regards to criteria emissions, emissions of carbon dioxide and fuel consumption and/or the measurement of electric energy consumption and electric range (WLTP)