Foundations are part of the social economy. They also play an important role in providing grant funding for the social economy, social innovation and other EU policy objectives. There is a growing interest among philanthropic actors to make mission related investments, including into social economy organisations. For more information, to see the Action Plan for the Social Economy of December 2021.
Main characteristics of foundations
- ran by appointed trustees
- capital is supplied through donations and gifts
- may finance and undertake research
- may support international, national, and local projects
- may provide grants to meet the needs of individuals
- may fund voluntary work, healthcare, and elderly care