The European Partnership for Alternative Approaches to Animal Testing (EPAA) is offering support for students and young scientists with outstanding work in alternative approaches to attend one of two conferences.
Every year, a number of high-profile international meetings bring together world-class scientists working on the development and acceptance of 3R alternatives to animal testing (replacement, reduction or refinement). The costs of participating may prevent students with promising work, or young scientists at the beginning of their career, from attending these events. The EPAA is therefore happy to sponsor 3Rs student grants to facilitate participation.
A jury will assess the applications and propose a list of selected candidates to the EPAA Steering Committee. The jury will be composed of 4 members (two from industry and two from the European Commission).
This year, one super grant of €2, 500 for the 12th World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in Life Sciences, and two full grants of €1,000 for EUROTOX 2023 are available. All grants cover the reimbursement of the event registration fees for the student/young scientist, as well as travel and accommodation fees, on the basis of the expense receipts.
The eligibility criteria for both students and events is defined below. Applications that do not fit these requirements will not be accepted.
1) Applicants have to be based (i.e. studying) in one of the 27 EU countries or the UK. Citizens of any country (i.e. also outside of the EU) may apply
2) Applicants must have an undergraduate degree (BSc/first cycle completed with at least 180 ECTS credits) when applying and should not have a doctoral degree
3) Applicants must still be considered as full-time students or young scientists (≤ 35 years old) when applying
4) Young scientists employed by an industry are not eligible
5) No funding or reimbursement by another entity for the same student and event is allowed
Two high-profile scientific meetings are eligible for the EPAA 3Rs student grants this year:
- 12th World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in the Life Sciences (Niagara Falls, Canada, 27-31 August 2023). Application deadline: 05/06/2023
- EUROTOX 2023 (Ljubljana, Slovenia, 10-13 September 2023). Application deadline: 05/06/2023
Application and selection process
The application process is as follows:
1) Applications must be emailed to EPAA (grow‐firstname.lastname@example.org) by midnight on 5/06/2023.
2) To receive the award, an abstract for an oral presentation needs to be submitted and accepted. At the sole discretion of the jury and in exceptional cases, work can be presented in the format of a poster. EPAA's visibility must be guaranteed by including a clear acknowledgment of its support in the presentation/poster.
Selections will be made by the jury on the basis of the following documents provided by the applicant:
- the abstract submitted for one of the selected events
- a detailed CV of the applicant with a list of publications (if any)
- a cover letter describing why the work described in the abstract is important for the 3Rs and why it should be supported by this EPAA grant
- a recommendation letter from a professor/supervisor that also confirms the applicant is a full-time student
- proof of acceptance of the event (i.e. an invitation or a confirmation email)
Enquiries should be directed to grow‐email@example.com
The EPAA is a public-private partnership across seven industry sectors between the European Commission and industry stakeholders. Launched in 2005, it contains 38 companies, 8 European trade federations and 5 Directorates-General of the European Commission.