Six roundtables cover all parts of the hydrogen value chain, from production to end use. The overall facilitation of the different roundtables’ activities is supported by Hydrogen Europe.
In addition, we formed two working groups in February 2022 to address two significant barriers to the deployment of hydrogen in Europe: standards and permitting procedures. The hydrogen standards working group aims to contribute to the development of hydrogen standards by CEN/CENELEC and other relevant bodies. The permitting group will prepare a report mapping permitting bottlenecks and identifying good practices and policy recommendations. More details on the new working groups will follow soon.
This includeselectrolysers, solar/wind/hydro, plant engineering, equipment, materials, carbon capture and storage (CCS) and pyrolysis.
Co-chairs: Jean-Bernard Lévy, CEO of EDF; Mads Nipper CEO of Ørsted; Francesco Starace, CEO and General Manager of Enel Spa
Facilitating organisation: SolarPower Europe
The focus of this roundtable is on pipelines, liquid organic hydrogen carriers (LOHC), liquid hydrogen (LH2) and ports.
Co-chairs: Ilaria Conti, Head of Gas, Florence School of Regulation; Jacques Vandermeiren, CEO, Antwerp Port Authority, Marcelino Oreja Arburúa, CEO, Enagás S.A.
Facilitating organisation: ENTSOG
This roundtable’s scope includes steel, chemical, refineries, eKerosene/eFuels, fertilisers, industrial heat, and cement.
Co-chairs: David Herrero, COO, Fertiberia S.A.; Lars Peter Lindfors, Senior Vice President, Innovation, Neste Oyj; Martin Pei, Executive Vice President and CTO, SSAB
Facilitating organisation: Cefic
This roundtable focuses on trucks/buses, light duty vehicles, trains, ships, fuel cells, drive trains, tanks and hydrogen refuelling stations (HRS).
Co-chairs: Marc Granger, Chief Strategy Officer, ALSTOM; Otto Preiss, Chief Operating Officer, Rolls Royce Power Systems ; Petros Spinaris, Deputy CEO, responsible for Sales, Marketing & Customer Service, Solaris Bus & Coach
Facilitating organisation: ACEA
The roundtable's themes include re-electrification, mega storage, and electricity grid/balancing.
Co-chairs: Christian Bruch, CEO and President, Siemens Energy; Jaakko Eskola, President and CEO, Wärtsilä Corporation; Manon van Beek, CEO, TenneT
Facilitating organisation: Hydrogen Europe (on an interim basis)
This roundtable's work encompasses district heating, combined heat and power (CHP), and solid oxide fuel cells.
Co-chairs: Dr. Volkmar Denner, CEO, Robert Bosch GmbH;Nuno Fitas Mendes, CEO, REN Portgás; Konstantinos Xifaras, CEO, Depa Commercial S.A.
Facilitating organisation: European Heating Industry
Selection of roundtable members
Roundtables consist of
- CEOs/executive board members of companies with relevant activities in Europe in research development, demonstration, industrialisation, deployment of renewable or low-carbon hydrogen solutions (supply, transport/distribution or demand) and/or with concrete plans to do so in the near future
- high-level representatives of other stakeholders, such as, trade unions, research and technology organisations, investors and civil society organisations with a strong interest in renewable or low-carbon hydrogen
- high-level representatives of EU countries and regional public authorities
For industry representatives, roundtable selection is based on
- existing and planned activities for the production
- transmission/distribution or use of renewable or low-carbon hydrogen
- current and planned/expected investments in production
- potential contribution to climate and energy targets
- potential contribution to security of supply of renewable or low-carbon hydrogen
- potential for value creation in the European hydrogen value chain
- geographical diversity and diversity in terms of size of companies and representativeness of the entire value chain